Codebase Context not working / @ Menu issues

First Question: I have been using Cody for VS Code and recently switched to Jetbrains Rider. Using primarily for Unity C# projects. There definitely is some feature and UX disparity between the two that I hope to see closed soon, but one major issue is that there doesn’t seem to be any codebase level context working. I have the project selected in Chat Context below, but LLM always respond as if no context was provided and it shows no files referenced, unless I manually @ a file.

Second question: wondering if you guys plan to copy the @ menu structure/functionality from VS Code. Currently it lists all the files with paths and isn’t nearly as nice or easy to navigate as VS Code, nor does it have options to break down by Files, Folders, or show the currently opened files for easy reference.

I feel like there’s a handful of other oddities about using the Jetbrains plugin in general compared to VS Code, that feel either incomplete, or broken. Hoping the Jetbrains plugin gets a lot closer to VS Code version soon. Is that in the plans?

Thanks in advance, love the tool overall!

Edit: Just updated to 6.0.34, no change in codebase context issue, but I noticed a new unified UI coming to Jetbrains soon, can’t wait for that, perhaps it fixes this?

Same, signed up to use full context but cant seem it to get it working in JetBrains.

Hello! Let me answer this first.

Yes and you can try it if you install 6.0.27-experimental

Can you try with the experimental version and see what happens? When I ask a question without @-mentioning a file, I get a satisfactory answer:

Also would you mind taking a screenshot of your output?

Loving the new UI, but unfortunately did not solve my problem. Here is a screenshot:

Edit in case you need this:
JetBrains Rider 2024.2.2
Build #RD-242.20224.431, built on August 23, 2024

Edit2: Worth nothing this same project works fine in VS Code doing the same query and does pull context.

Hi

I tested with the experimental version.
The feature I would like to use is to run code smell on the whole project, this will not work and I will get back the message “I apologise”.

If I am a bit more specific and ask for functionality that might reference file name or function 1:1 I will get the response.

I do like the new UI.

ty
M

Thanks @neo.pixel and @Maigais

I’m going to alert the JB team.

Hi @jdorfman

I was using experimental build all day yesterday, I did notice sometimes it crashed and I could not start new chat, it happens rather regularly.

Happy to provide details if you let me know how.

M

Thanks @Maigais for the update. Yeah, experimental builds can be quite unpredictable when it comes to stability.

Appreciate it. When it comes to the new chat UI we are definitely doing to need as many eyes on it as possible. I’ll check with the team and see if there is a formal way they can collect experimental feedback. Could even be on this forum.

Hey, if you want to give a new UI proper test much better option is the newest nightly (at the moment of writing this: 6.0.37-nightly) which contains a ton of bugfixes compared to that experimental build.

Lack of context is troublesome, it should be provided by a local indexer. That said we still miss a proper notification that indexing is still in progress (VSC shows them) which can sometimes lead to confusion. That is especially true for bigger repos where indexing can take longer. I’m wondering if that was not the case there, could you check if that is still an issue after some time of using it?

I will take a look locally to make sure it’s not some regression.

BTW. Official stable build with new UI is planned for Sept 04 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Where do I try nightly for some betta testing :slight_smile:

You can click on the Cody icon in the bottom right and select “Manage Accounts”:

On the panel which will show up there will be option to change Update channel to Nightly.

For one-time installation you can also download it directly from the market: https://plugins.jetbrains.com/plugin/9682-cody-ai-coding-assistant-with-autocomplete--chat/edit/versions/nightly/595288
And then install plugin form the disk.

Whatever workflow suits you better :slight_smile:

I left Jetbrains Rider open for days on that project, never changed anything as far it utilizing the codebase.

I just tried 7.0 and had some interesting results:

On my Macbook, its working as expected now, able to do codebase queries and it gets relevant context. Yay!

On my Windows 11 box that I primarily work on, issue persists. It never gets any context unless I manually @ a file. Boo!

I am using the same project on both systems. I tried uninstalling/reinstalling cody on my windows box, didn’t help, but I dont think it actually reset any settings because my account was still logged in when I reinstalled it. Assuming I need to delete something elsewhere.

Appreciate any info on how I might fix this, thanks!